This person will be responsible for the designated practices within the Hospital, Department of Dentistry and is the initial point of contact for all patients, students and visitors reporting to the Dental Clinic and is an integral member of a busy clinical team. This person will provide exceptional administrative support to our dental practices, including the Special Care Dentistry Program - For Medically complex patients, those with special health care needs, including Adults with disabilities.. The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to quality customer service, applying excellent problem solving and communication skills to ensure the success of our practices and patient care.
Opening the clinic reception window daily as per departmental hours.
• Primary contact to greet patients, visitors, students, coworkers, and patients/caregivers with general enquiries promptly, professionally and problem solve as required.
• Actively communicate, inform, and direct patients of departmental processes and procedures to ensure optimal patient flow and practice management.
• Efficiently inform dental colleagues/doctors/team of patient arrival using the internal communication system.
• Provide new patient questionnaire package, confirm insurance coverage and/or request referrals and other information as required.
• Prepare new patient charts as per doctor/clinic protocol and ensure demographics and patient information is accurate and up to date.
• Organize and maintain accurate and current filing system/patient records (includes filing charts daily).
• Validate Ontario Health Insurance Card (OHIP) with HCV.
• Answer the phone, manage calls/phone line (includes retrieval and management of voicemails) and refer callers to the appropriate administrator as required.
• Additional duties related to our multiple dentists/specialists and other dental professional practices within the Department of Dentistry.
• Review of faxed new patient referrals; preparing for triage and entering in to database
• Ensure that patients understand the policies regarding eligibility for care and their responsibilities such as punctuality, cancellation procedures, payment of accounts, etc as required.
• Support Clerical Coordinators in maintaining and monitoring cancellation list for the Special Care Dentistry Program.
• Prepare ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) treatment predeterminations for approval, monitoring accounts receivables.
• Monitor and verify “S” codes in ABELDent for the Special Care Dentistry Program.
• Print day sheets daily, ensure schedules are current with changes and correct charts.
• On occasion, Administrative support/ coverage to process daily deposits/day end reports; weekly, and monthly provider (doctor) financial reports, reconciling all entries.
• Maintain a proper chart filing system.
• Maintain current knowledge of dental terminology and procedures.
• Provide support, as needed, within the Department of Dentistry.
• Minimum of two years recent Dental Office experience with multiple providers.
• Successful completion of a college diploma preferably in the field of Dental/Medical Office Administration or an equivalent educational training program from an accredited educaonal institution.
• Applicants with proven equivalent recent and related training and experience may also be considered.
• Proficiency in using dental office management software (AbelDent preferred), CDAnet, ITRANS and Microsoft Office is required.
• In-depth knowledge and/or experience in tooth anatomy, dental terminology, dental office procedures/operations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of dental practice scheduling and treatment coordination of multiple dentists.
• Demonstrated knowledge of dental practice financial policies and accountability to establish financial arrangements, treatment planning and completion of predeterminations and dental insurance claims, electronic claim submission, AbelDent financial reporting utilizing dental software programs (under the direction of Clinic Manager).
• Demonstrated knowledge of dental insurance plans i.e. the ODA Fee Guide, ODSP, Federal Government (e.g. NHIB) Guidelines and Fee Schedules.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively function as a team member both intra and inter-departmentally and ability to establish excellent working relationships with the Departmental Staff. Proven flexibility, initiative, excellent communication, organizational and problem solving/decision making skills.
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills with the proven ability to clearly define and articulate requirements, priorities, impacts, and solutions.
• Ability to establish excellent patient/public relations; awareness and assurance of patient related/clinic confidentiality.
• Demonstrated professionalism, commitment and have exceptional organization and interpersonal skills while managing the practices/administrative operations.
• Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and work both independently and as part of a team.
• Experience working in a dental specialty office is an asset.
• Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history.